Friday, July 8, 2016

Some Words on Recent Events...

My brain is swimming with so many thoughts after what's happened in the last couple days. No, I don't have all the answers but there is one conclusion that I CAN come to. We are very compartmentalized, very ideological and tend to generalize EVERYONE and EVERY GROUP. At least once a day I see Facebook statuses along the lines of "if you don't agree with me on A, B, and C, just unfriend me now." That's it. No discussion, no trying to understand how the other person thinks or how he or she might have come to believe what they do. Nope, just assume that you know EXACTLY why (and of course it's always because they're a freeloader/bigot/misogynist/anti-cop/fill in any other favorite 'ist' or 'ism' of choice) because apparently everyone on Facebook is not only an expert on human psychology but able to see into the minds of all humans, past and present. I also find it interesting when I or others post articles or other pieces (contemporary or historical) showing humans from all walks of life coming together or something like women in the 17th century being respected business owners, those postings only get a handful of likes (if that). But some oh-so-clever meme or click bait poking fun at Donald Trump's hair (because if that's not important, I don't know what is)? It's getting hundreds of likes and shares. Again, if it doesn't fit in with a specific narrative, most don't seem to want to hear or read it, regardless of what it is. And it leads me to think that people really don't care about the issues at hand as much as they say they do and instead are more concerned with being the one that can say 'haha! see? I'm right!'
I know this sounds very cynical but frankly, I'm sick of it all.
EDIT: I will add to those of you at least trying everyday to make an effort to spread a positive message instead of blind finger pointing: you guys rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment