Monday, June 6, 2016

As I Proceed with the Future Installments of My Book Series...

Happy Monday, everyone. So a few things I've been thinking about as I've been moving forward with the future installments of my book series. Nothing too urgent but still things that leave me a little puzzled.

1.) Why is it that the counter cultures of the 1950s almost never get talked about? Seriously, most of what IS said about that era is very one sided. It actually surprises me a little that modern day writers, filmmakers, etc haven't jumped on that (I did a google search for novels set in the beat/art house setting or about greasers, teddy boys/girls, etc because I wanted to see what modern 21st century writers were doing with it. Nada, apparently.). Usually if anyone does write about that time, it's "the usual stuff."

And my response to those that might answer with "but...but that was all considered taboo by polite society back then!" is as follows: so was jazz in the 1920s/30s, so was heavy metal in the 1980s. Hell, even the Waltz was labeled as scandalous by political and religious leaders at the turn of the 19th century, but people still partook in it. So what's your point? Taboo doesn't mean it didn't exist or even thrive. And in my opinion, taboo means all the more reason to write about it.
My book series The Birthrite does reach the 1950s eventually. Will I be writing about the art houses, beat kids, greasers and such? Hell yes.

2.) Why do so many act and talk as if no one ever fought for any type of human rights prior to the 1960s and 70s? When actually, societies have been partaking in such revolutions since the beginning of civilizations, whether it was overthrowing a corrupt monarch or government to preserve their own rights or fighting for a more oppressed group (Ireland's centuries long fight for independence, the students of 19th century Bucharest fighting to end enslavement of the Romanichal/Gypsies in 19th century Romania, and the underground railroads of America are only three of many examples throughout history). And some of these were so extreme in their levels of brutality they would have made what was happening in the 60s and 70s (which was obviously very intense) look like Disneyland. And no, I'm NOT tossing aside all that happened in the 1960s and 70s as unimportant. I just wonder why people seem to act as though history and the idea of fighting for human rights - whether for yourself or for others - is only 50 years old.

3.) Stemming from number two, why do many today act as though everyone prior to recent decades had no minds of their own and shared the exact same views and opinions, 100% trusted the media, powers that be, etc? If that were the case, no one would ever have revolted, youth counter cultures (which have been around since at least the turn of the 20th century) would never have developed, etc. I am also currently reading Edward Bernays' 1928 book Propaganda and according to the introduction (written by Mark Crispin Miller), the media and powers that be experienced great backlash after World War I. Throughout the 1920s and into the 1930s, trust in media and government was actually very low. So much that those on 'the inside' had to work feverishly to reign people in. Even going back to the 17th century, Thomas Hobbes wrote Leviathan as a way of trying to convince the people of his time to basically accept the power over them.


So that's my little rant for the day. I know these blogposts have been more sporadic as of late, but that is also because there is a lot in development over here. Some cool announcements coming soon... :)












*****




For first access to giveaways and other content not seen by the rest of the world, sign up for the free Messages from the Labyrinth Newsletter!

Paperback copies of Descent (The Birthrite Series, #1) and Sacred Atonement:Novelette (The Birthrite Series, # 1.5) available together for the low price of $21.00 at my Official Website


My music projects are available at CDBaby
My filmwork is on IMDb
"The Birthrite Series" and other books at Smashwords and Barnes & Noble NOOK
 My books and music are also on Amazon and iTunes
Tiffany on Goodreads
Support great authors and independent bookstores at Smashwords and Indiebound

No comments:

Post a Comment