Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Luther Leonidas Hill Jr. and Henry Myrick

People have commented on my dedication in the front of my book, Descent (The Birthrite Series, #1). It is there that I've dedicated the book, along with the research that went into the book, 'to those that have been forgotten with time.'
While some individuals haven't necessarily been completely forgotten, I do think that what we are shown - and what gets talked of - is a result of careful selection. And because I'm tired of all these things dividing us (I actually have come to believe that there is much more in history that can bring us together, and we all have a lot more in common than we might think), I am sharing as much of these individual's stories as I can.
Two such individuals are Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill Jr., a late 19th century/early-mid 20th century physician and surgeon, and Henry Myrick, a 13-year-old African American youth who suffered a stab wound to the heart. In 1902, Dr. Hill performed what is considered one of the first successful open heart surgeries on Henry, who was able to make a full recovery.


http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-2949

I will be coming to you with my newest blogpost soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment