Sunday, July 27, 2014

Fifty Shades of Grey

Well, as I'm sure many know by now, the trailer for the Fifty Shades of Grey movie has been released, complete with a new version of a Beyonce track and everything. After giving it some thought, I've decided that  I'm doing something a little different for the blog this week, making it Fifty Shades Week here. Though not in a way people might think.

After thinking about it, I realized that of all the fads I've seen come and go over the years, I find myself being the most intrigued by the fanaticism over the Fifty Shades franchise. I was planning on discussing this in a blogpost in the near future, and decided why the hell not now with the hype around the movie being started, and all?

One thing I stress here on this blog (and most everything I do) is maintaining a critical eye on pop culture and what is deemed as the new cultural phenomenon by the mainstream media and the powers that be. It is not necessarily my intention to knock the series (though I may in a few areas), but to perhaps study why the obsession when erotica has actually been around hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Why is it being hailed as this 'new and great' thing?

I've mentioned Jenny Trout's excellent and highly entertaining Fifty Shades recaps here before and she even recapped the trailer as well (and as someone who works regularly in the horror genre, I concur with all the remarks being made of it looking like a trailer for a horror film).
She's also written an erotica series titled The Boss, which I will discuss in further detail tomorrow (I'm in the process of editing the post) along with why I recommend checking it out.

Another I will be discussing is Sylvain Reynard's Gabriel series (which I actually did enjoy).

Til then, enjoy the remainder of your weekend.
Tiff



If you would like to join our community and receive content exclusive to email, join our little tribe and Subscribe to my Messages from the Labyrinth Mailing List.. We promise to never share your info or spam you. Ever.

You can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel for new vlogging updates.


******

My stories, "The Cemetery by the Lake" and "Dusk to Dawn" are available at Smashwords and Barnes & Noble NOOK. More retailers will follow, but Smashwords is pretty compatible with most e-reader and PC formats.
and Amazon
"The Cemetery by the Lake" at Smashwords and Barnes & Noble NOOK
"Dusk to Dawn" at Smashwords
Tiffany on Goodreads
My music is also available at CDBaby
Support great authors and independent bookstores at Smashwords and Indiebound


No comments:

Post a Comment