Thursday, March 6, 2014

Time Warps

Hey all!

How's everyone's week been?

I was originally going to blog about the phenomenon of what is known to many as Night Terrors. I know several who have experienced them and I have myself (in the past. Not recently, thank God). They are also one of the running themes in the Birthrite Series and a little occurs in Cemetery by the Lake. But when I was looking at my newsfeed on Facebook earlier, I saw this quote by one of my favorite actresses/artists, Fairuza Balk:

"I've always been one of those people who tends towards music/Art/ Interests from other era's. I guess I live in my own time warp."

Now speaking of time warps, I can't resist a little Rocky Horror before I continue:



Now I will start out by saying that when I saw that status of hers, I was all "oh my goodness, yes!" I have always respected Fairuza Balk (probably best known as Nancy in "The Craft") as not only an actor, but as an artist and all around cool person. I always have mad respect for someone who does a project because it is one they truly resonate with and can make them grow as an artist and some times all around human being as opposed to what is a guaranteed limelight grabber. She maintains independence in her art, has an awesome line of candles, and (like me) is also into a more holistic lifestyle. Then she also made that awesome Facebook status and it really got me thinking.

I have always been drawn to bygone eras (which is pretty evident in my chosen periods to set most of the Birthrite Series in), whether its music, art, literature, clothing, hairstyles, etc. I love vintage and I love antiques (there are several cool antique stores near where I live which is definitely a plus). Now, I'm not saying I'm an "expert" in history, because I'm not. There was quite a bit I needed to research for my book series because I was a little shaky on some things. But for the most part, I do prefer entertainment from 20, 30, 40, 50, 60+ years ago. Now that's not to say that I don't partake in some recent entertainment (love me some Lorde and there are still some good movies being churned out, both indie and mainstream), but I do find that most pre-21st Century entertainment resonates with me a little more. Hell, give me some from Vaudeville and the silent film era any day over the latest reality show craze.

One thing that really cracks me up (and slightly annoys me) though is when I mention that I like "The Twilight Zone" or "Perry Mason" or Frank Sinatra, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Fay Wray, the original 1933 "King Kong" film, Glenn Miller, Audrey Hepburn, Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Alfred Hitchcock, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, James Dean, etc or even if I mention I enjoy shows, movies, and music from the 1980s (the decade in which I was born...love New Wave and the Metal that came from that decade), people typically respond with, "How could you have heard of that? It was before your time!"

What, everyone has to only like things happening currently or "after their time"? Because if that were the case, Shakespearean Theatre, and most Classical music would pretty much be extinct now. If that were the case, nobody would be reading Poe, Lovecraft, Shaw, Wilde, Carroll, the Brontes, and other awesome literary geniuses and I personally think that would be very sad. There is so much to learn from history, not only through the art that came out of the different eras, but also from events that had taken place. 

Now, I don't think the "it was before your time" is meant maliciously (at least not all the time). In a way, I can understand where it comes from given the current modern culture. But there are those of us out there who are not obsessed with the Kardashians and others like them. There are those of us who do appreciate art of all forms from countries and eras that are different from our own.

Welp, that's my soapbox for this Thursday. Next week I will pick up with the Night Terros post. It's some scary stuff!

And check out my my YouTube Channel for vlogs and such.

Also, "Cemetery by the Lake" will be released soon. I had wanted to release it on the 4th of this month, but there were still a few kinks to iron out (bear with me, I'm new to this self publishing books thing). In addition to being a free short story for some to be able to sample my writing before they buy, it is also the 'test run' for when I self publish "Descent (Birthrite Series #1)." I figured that learning the ropes of ebook formatting on Smashwords would be an easier learn with a twelve page short story instead of trying to cram it all in with a 400+ page novel.

I hope to have "Cemetery" released sometime this weekend and it's looking like "Descent" will be having a May release. I was going to try for this month, but if I would have rushed it, I definitely would not have been happy with the product, and I only want to give you guys the best I can! :)

So that's what's happening, and see you next week for my Night Terrors blogpost.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment