Monday, July 1, 2013

Some excerpts from Book 3, RAPTURE- UNEDITED

Hey everyone,

I'm working on getting the next chapter in the first draft of Book 1 along with another excerpt from the first rewrite/second draft (sorry it's taking longer...some other stuff needed my attention and took longer than I thought) as I watch the second episode of Stephen King's "Under the Dome" (which is awesome, by the way).

I was also looking over what I have so far of the first draft of Book 2 and thought I'd share some excerpts.  Keep in mind that they are unedited and in no particular order. ;)

Excerpt 1 (Book 3)


She set the charcoal down and stood, stretching her legs before heading to the sink to rinse away the charcoal stains from her fingers.  She rubbed her hands together under the running water, turning it as hot to the point of scalding.  The water began to loosen the band-aid on her left pinky finger.  She shut the water off and caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror above the sink.  Her reflection had been something she tried to avoid in recent times.  She knew her appearance had changed and not for the better.  Between poor diet, lack of sleep, and an addiction to sleeping pills to combat that lack of sleep, she had become a gaunt, pale shadow of herself...her face almost seemed to be lost in the long, black mane of hair.  Her cheeks had a hollow look to them and her dark eyes were empty, ebony pools surrounded by dark circles.  She was able to camoflauge her under eye circles by piling on black eyeliner.  Her already petite frame had lost almost thirty pounds within only a couple of months.  Some of the prissier girls at the school actually asked her what her secret was behind all the weight she had lost.  


Excerpt 2 (Book 3)



“Damn girl!  Are my cappuccinos really that bad,” Ricky joked with a mocking hurt expression.



“Oh, no,” Joanna laughed, “I just really need the pick me up today.  I didn’t sleep much last night.”



“Well, now that you mention it you do look a little rough,” Ricky replied.



“Thanks.  I love you too,” Joanna said.



Joanna normally drank her coffee black, but today things just felt a little different. 



“You know I’m just teasing,” Ricky said with a wink, “so, late night I take it?”



“You can say that, yeah,” Joanna replied.



“Another hot night with Pete?”



“Yes, if you must know.”



“And what would Pete think of you flirting with that other guy?”



Joanna blinked, “what do you mean?”



“Oh come on,” Ricky answered, “that guy you were just talking to.  Don’t act all innocent.  He was totally flirting with you and you were totally flirting with him.  I was starting to break a sweat from all the heat generating from over there.”



“I was helping him find a book,” Joanna said.



“If you say so…hey, if you don’t want him send him my way,” Ricky said.



“Sure,” Joanna teased, “Mr. I Flirt with Every Pretty Guy Who Comes In Here.”



“Hey, I need love too,” Ricky said.



“I’ll talk to you later,” Joanna said with a laugh.



“Enjoy your coffee with your sugar,” Ricky said.


Excerpt 3 (Book 3)


The clock read 5:51am.  Somehow he had slept through his alarm.  Though that shouldn’t be a huge surprise considering the night he had.  But now, he had to rush around to be on time for the 6:30am studio session with the rest of the band.  And of course, there was Ron’s unrelenting pounding.



“Hey bro,” Ron called, “are you up yet or am I going to have to come in there with a bucket of ice?”



“That won’t be necessary,” Everett called back, “I’m up.”



Barely, Everett added to himself.



“Good.  Think you’ll be ready soon,” Ron asked.



“If you quit giving my door a beating,” Everett answered.



“Only if you’re in the kitchen in ten,” Ron answered with a hint of mischief in his voice, “or I just may bring that bucket of ice.  Or at least some cold water.”
 
...And we will be back with Book 1 soon :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment